Monday, July 16, 2007

End of Day

End of Day. That's the button I have to hit on my UPS Worldship program if I've sent any packages that day. Sometimes I wish my job had a button like that too. Just hit the button and I'd get to go home with a full day's pay! Yeah right.

I work in the auto industry. The glorious parts department of a Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealership. I enjoy my job. Sure it has its down points like all do, but overall its very interesting and I learn new stuff daily, which is important for me to STAY interested in my job.

Unfortunately, DaimlerChrysler isn't doing so hot right now. Sales in from dealerships in our area were off about 40% in June from May. And July is even worse. Not so good. I'll rant sometime on my problems with DaimlerChrysler's approach. Some things they are doing great at, others frustrate the heck out of me.

However, part of the problem is also the average car consumer. Note, I said average. Not the person who really researches their vehicle based on MPG or reliability or horsepower. The average car buyer has NO idea what they want. They want economy. (ie. cheap!) They want quality. They want lots of options. They want fuel efficiency. They want big. (Vans, SUVs, trucks) Now, due to gas prices bigger SUVs and truck sales have plummetted. But some buyers still don't understand the vehicles they shelled out lots of money for.

A case in point. A woman was complaining that her Jeep Commander, a big box on wheels, was only getting 14-15 mpg on the highway. Granted, even for this vehicle that seems a little low, but I don't know how she drives it. The vehicle only has a 3.7L engine that produces 210hp. Not a ton of power to move a giant box at 70+ miles an hour. I'm not sure what she was expecting.

Part of the problem begins in sales. They are geared to sell cars, I understand this. And that is important. But don't let a customer buy a large vehicle with a V6 engine expecting better fuel economy. You most likely won't see the benefits on the highway. Possibly in the city, but even then you are accelerating a large object with an engine that must work harder to do so.

Its frustrating because DC is putting out some decent vehicles right now, and too many people are just ignoring them. And too many people didn't understand what they were purchasing and now are dissatisfied when buying next engine bigger, or the next higher trim line might have solved the issue. Some companies like Hyundai and their Kia line have figured out how to mix price and options and quality. DC is trying to do that, but has to overcome much higher production costs. Hopefully, they'll be able to do this now that they have been bought out mostly.

No comments: