Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Bike Ride- September 26

This day we rented a couple of bikes from the rental place at the Visitor's Center. We headed out towards Hermit's Rest, a 21 mile round trip. We had the bike's rented for 4 hours.

It started out mostly downhill to the Blue/Red transfer and then greeted us with a 6% grade for about a half mile. After that, it wasn't too bad out to Hermit's Rest, this was a bit of a warning for the return.

I admit that I lied to Katrina when she kept saying "Won't it be harder coming back?" I said "No" knowing full well it would be. What were our options? I hadn't realized that she wasn't thinking that "relatively flat" routes at 7000 feet up on a plateau is different than "relatively flat" in Illinois.

Coming back was pretty brutal. The Haro bikes we were given were just 7 speeds, but it wasn't from a lack of gears that made things hard. It was a lack of oxygen and the fact we'd had a difficult hike the day before. Katrina was struggling but making it and it was far from a walk in the park for me.

We stopped at the Blue/Red transfer to rest and I inquired about putting the bikes on the shuttle buses as each had a rack in the front. It was allowed and we rode back to the Visitor's Center in comfort, exhausted.

Katrina kept trying to apologize for not making it, but I assured her I was not looking forward to the climb back. I wasn't exhausted, but I was tired.

All told we rode ~14 miles with plenty of hills.

We headed back to camp. cleaned up and had hot dogs and mac & cheese for supper. Katrina crashed out around 6:00 or so and I probably made it until 7:30.

I did have a couple of very tasty brews, Grand Canyon Brewing Co. of Williams, AZ, makes some wonderful beers. So far I can attest to the tastiness of their American Pilsner, think in the style of a Budweiser or Miller, except it tastes good, and the Sunset Amber Ale. Both are excellent brews.

The Nimbus Brewing Co. from Tuscon, Arizona, had a great English Style Ale called Old Monkey Shine. I didn't drink much of it as it was 8.2% abv (i didn't realize this until after I opened it) but it was delicious.

No comments: