Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Why are certain "sins" more "sinful?"

The current furor over Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act raises all sorts of questions. First might be, what Religious Freedom's need restored? Another might be why all the fancy language to just say "We want to legalize discrimination."

Apparently certain vocal minorities of Christians feel that they should be able to have their cake and eat it too. Now look, I get it, we all love cake, but here's the thing, when you start a business, you don't instantly get to choose your customers. I work a job that has some retail aspects. Trust me, I wish I could choose my customers.

But, you start a business, a public business, you don't just get to say "Well, I only sell to Y." See, they used to do that in the South, and heck, even in many Northern places. It was discrimination then, its discrimination now whether its because of skin color or sexual orientation or the color of their eyes.

"BUT MAH BELIEFS!" you cry, railing that baking a cake, making a pizza, or selling flowers to "the gays" is somehow an affront to God (pro tip: its not) and you think you shouldn't have to go against your beliefs. YOU are special. YOU have beliefs unlike others. (Or something, I'm sorry, I don't really get the logic, but whatever I'm about to destroy it anyway.)

Here's the problem: Why is homosexuality apparently the "worst" sin? I mean, if you have a business you've sold to adulterers, fornicators, the greedy, liars, thieves, wife beaters, and child abusers. You've done transactions with people involved in pretty much every sin out there. I mean, your customers, they're human, they sorta have flaws. Just like YOU have flaws. Just like I do.

So, why are homosexuals somehow the worst? Because you know about their "sin?" That by having a transaction with them you somehow tacitly approve of their "lifestyle?" They're your customer. They're giving you money for your service. That's where it begins and ends.

I suppose the excuse "But I KNOW about their sin!" still exists. But again, it doesn't make any sense. Why is obvious "sin" worse than hidden sin? One could argue hidden sin is actually worse for a whole bunch of reasons.

But basically the issue boils down to this: If you don't want to do business with people whose lifestyles you don't agree with, don't own a business. Be someone else's employee and let them worry about the "moral" implications of their sales.

You can approach this from another angle too. Why would you not want to serve these people and do the best job possible? Show that you love them as you love anyone? What does building walls do to help show God's love? Or, is the real issue you only believe God's love really applies to those who think like you?

No comments: