Friday, December 12, 2008

Microsoft OS

Ok, I'm not a techie geek anymore. I was only ever a borderline one and even that title went out years ago. So, keep that in mind.

Microsoft and their ever-present "Mojave" commercials (i could get lots out of Vista too with a killer machine being used by someone who knows all the ins and outs) with-standing, Vista isn't really something people are raving about. Especially in the corporate world.

Why? Well, most people don't need an uber-powerful operating system. Vista apparently can do amazing things, if you care enough to do them. What I, and most users, notice, is that it sucks up tons of system resources just being on my computer. (I'm discounting the early Vista basic editions which were broken for all intents and purposes.)

What Microsoft isn't realizing, or maybe will with Windows 7, is that the average computer user just wants a stable machine. They want it to load fast, run fast, run the programs they buy, have drivers for the hardware they use, and just plain work. Yes, I realize this is a lot to ask, and there will always be glitches, bugs and hiccups. That's ok.

Don't give us a super-powerful, new, amazing, confusing and unecessary massive hunk of software. Really, most of us don't need it.

Make it two tiered: A home edition which is all the NECESSARY basics to just run your computer. A Pro edition which is all that PLUS a bunch of web-integrated stuff or whatever.

I run an old Pentium 4 that has Ubuntu on it. I barely know how to use linux. But it works. Every time, it works. I can get on the web, I can do word processing, photo editing, etc. Oh, I'm not proselytizing Linux, its not for everyone, but what I am saying is that it works for me. That's all I need. It doesn't suck up all my system resources, it only has a gig of ram. But it works.

Like I said, this isn't a big concern of mine, but Microsoft never seems to learn that upgrading and completely changing don't have to go hand in hand.

No comments: