Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baseball and Congress Part II

Well, I'm not claiming to be the first, because I'm sure I was nowhere near first, but at least I finally read a national story questioning what congress is doing looking into the baseball steroids issue. The story asked the question I, and I'm sure many others asked, "Doesn't Congress have more important things to do?"

Clemens is a cheater, but he's old and probably not going to pitch again. Pettite is still playing, and Knoblauch pretty much wants nothing to do with the sport anymore. The Mitchell report is focusing on a few past abuses. The key there is FEW. If more people like the trainer for the Yankee's had been caught from other teams, because, lets face it, I'm pretty certain almost every team in baseball had a guy who could "hook up" the players with steroids, HGH, or whatever other substance they needed. If all those middle-men had been caught up in a federal probe I cringe to think how many players would have been implicated.

So, this brings me back to my point. The Mitchell report and Congress are focusing on the past. You can't change the past. I'm sorry. The mid 80s to the early 2000s is tainted. Especially from about 96 on. You can't change that. And wasting taxpayer time and money on more hearings is wasteful. Baseball has done something. Its pathetic in my mind, but its something. Congress needs to get out of this now. If they want to focus on the actual trafficking of steroids and HGH, that's fine. I can understand how you would want that sort of thing regulated as it is a dangerous prescription-only substance. But give the baseball end of it a rest! Go back to running the country. Maybe look into what sort of lax banking oversight we have that helped set up these massive losses, but let baseball run itself now.

No comments: