Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Democracy

I had a blog all written on the "myth of democracy." A scathing look at the joke much of our political system is. I didn't post it. Is it that I don't believe our system is terribly flawed? No, I think it is. It's just that, while so many things about our country frustrate me to no end, I look around the world and am thankful I live here.

Our election process is laughable. We elect people, but nothing much changes, not usually. (Thanks for NOTHING Democratic congress.) However, we're not Kenya, where people are getting killed over the possibly rigged election. (You though 2000 was bad here, we weren't killing each other!) We're not Pakistan where homegrown terror groups just killed off a main politician in Benazir Bhutto.

We're not Fiji, where the army took over and tourism and sugar production have dropped severely since. We're not Sudan, where the government tacitly supports genocide by not doing anything to stop it. Or Somalia, where there is no government.

What I'm saying is that I'm thankful to be an American. I'm not a great patriot. I'm frequently sickened and embaressed by my nation. But I love my country and want good things for it and ALL who live here. I can only pray that as this ugly campaign season takes off I won't let it cloud my eyes. I criticize because I love. I vote because I can't complain if I don't. And I can pray for true change.

No comments: