Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Palin's & Prada

Well, ok, more than just pants. Pantsuits, makeup, hairdressers, all the stuff necessary to look good during a campaign.

I'm referring to the 150K that the RNC shelled out to clothe Palin (and her family it appears) since she became the VP candidate.

While it appears this is legal, and 150K is a drop in the bucket of campaign financing anymore, it does raise other issues.

Palin is supposed to be "a woman of the people." Someone every American can relate too. While not every American isn't running for office, and that is expensive, I'm not sure how many average Americans can dream of dropping 10k on clothes in 2 months much less 150k.

Granted, that the RNC says it owns the clothes and will donate them to charity after the election. Also, I'm not expecting Palin to go shopping at Wal-mart.

But, when the economy is crunching, the average American scrambling to keep finances above water, and the economy playing a giant role in the race, this is something that doesn't look good.

Is it serious? Not really. But does it look bad? Oh, yeah. And I hate to tell people perception matters as much as substance does.

Is this Palin's fault? Not necessarily. But does it show her inexperience? I think it does. A more savvy political veteran would probably have questioned the need for spending that much (or more likely already had it because of "connections" that goes for both parties) which again leads me to question the RNC's leadership in a "what the heck were they thinking?" scenario. I mean, the RNC has been the kings of this sort of attacking...so they don't think it might happen back?

Oh well, the election is coming soon!

2 comments:

schmichael said...

Remember when everyone made fun of Edward's $400 haircut? I think $150k in pantsuits trumps that by just a tad. ;-)

pschurter said...

Yup, and my guess would be Edwards paid for the haircut out of his own millions...maybe not, but that'd be my guess.